First of all, let me apologize for the link section from last prompt being closed!! I didn’t put the extended time on it like I usually do!! I’ve fixed it, so if you had a link you wanted to share, you can do that now!!
This prompt is from Glenda!!
THE PROMPT: Nature is a wondrous thing
ie: use pics of nature
THE STUFF: Don’t quote me on it
ie: use a quote or quotes
THE TECHNIQUE: Gesso & stencils ie: try something different and use Gesso on your stencils for texture!
I wanted to share a technique that I fell in love with – using Gesso with stencils!! In this tutorial I am using the Crafter’s Workshop woodgrain template (which I adore) and Gesso, but you can use whatever template/stencil you have!
Lay your template onto your paper and then paint the Gesso on top of it using a brush. Don’t be fussy because it’s nice when you get thicker and thinner spots, it just adds to the look and texture.
Once you have finished brushing on the Gesso gently peel the stencil from your page and wash it off (I just wash mine in the sink using warm water) and let your page dry.
Now it’s time to paint!! I diluted my brown paint with some water so it will let the Gesso’d design show through
When you are done painting and your paint has dried now you can make whatever you want! This is my finished art journal page
I can’t wait to see what you do!!
I did 2 aspects of the prompt. Gesso and a quote. I used a vintage silicon table mat as my mask. I spread heavy white gesso over it. When the gesso where almost dry, I spritz it with water and various dylusions spray inks. I added medical tape on the page just for some extra interest.
The quote is from a Norwegian poet/song writer and it is about happiness. It says something like this : If you look inside yourselves you will find the happiness that you travel over the mountains to find.
RACHEL I actually created an art piece, but it fits with the prompt pretty well, so I wanted to share! I didn’t use gesso, but I did use lace as stencils on the piece before I started layering.
I typed out a line from a song I like, and used that as the quote. My nature bit is a piece of rusted metal I found a while ago on our property… I love the idea of working with nature to create something new. That snazzy piece of picture frame in there? I created that for my post on the Amazing Mold Putty blog!
Now it’s your turn!!
- Use all three or just one or two parts of the prompts.
- MAKE THEM YOURS. These prompts are IDEAS. They are not set in stone. I do encourage you to stretch yourself. If you find a prompt doesn’t speak to you, think on it. Find a way to MAKE it speak to you, and go with that.
- There is NO right or wrong.
- Share your feedback positively. ABSOLUTELY no judging of what others share. (If I find that people aren’t following this rule, I will remove links left by that person.)
- This is a place for you to explore! It doesn’t matter if you’ve just gotten here in the middle of the year, or if you’ve gotten “behind” and don’t create every day. It doesn’t matter if you don’t create at ALL… (although we’d love it if you do)
All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel and Guest Hosts. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!