Before the Ink had a Chance to Dry
SHOOTERS: Shoot your mug with a description of a time in your life that flew by. Do you wish you could have stopped and enjoyed things? Were you glad things happened quickly?
SKETCH ARTISTS: Use an ink pen to draw your portrait. Use thick, minimal lines.
If you’re new here, and wanting to know more about this year’s Precinct, GO HERE
This was an emotional prompt for me… I journaled a bit about my oldest son’s senior year of high school. As if your kiddo’s senior year doesn’t move fast enough, and a mom doesn’t have enough to deal with having her first child leave the nest, Ian moved out before the year was even over, to start raising his own family. I love my grand baby with all my heart, and I’m so proud of the man that my son has become, but it was a heart wrenching year for me. Definitely too fast for my liking.
This prompt touched me deeper than I thought it would. I set a timer for 10 minutes and journaled on those events that flew by in my life and somewhere around 8 minutes I got the idea to do a picture collage of those moments. The next thing I knew I was in tears realizing there wasn’t ONE moment or event…rather ALL of them together; so it was LIFE itself that had flown by. Then I took a photo of my collage, printed it, drew my portrait, added words & feathers I’ve collected over the years and took another photo. Aaahhh-mazing!
For this one, I used sumi ink and a brush…just did it quick, no real thought. I’ve found my portraits come out better that way. Then, I just added some splats of ink.
I’m loving this journal so far…how about you?
- Use all or just part of the prompts.
- MAKE THEM YOURS. These prompts are IDEAS. They are not set in stone. I encourage you to stretch yourself. If you find a prompt doesn’t speak to you, think on it. Find a way to MAKE it speak to you, and go with that.
- SHOOTERS: You do NOT have to be a coffee drinker to play along! Tea, Water, Beer or the Hard Stuff. WE DON’T CARE!! Make the prompts work for you and your mug. (or lack there of)
- There is NO right or wrong.
- Share your feedback on the work of others that share here positively. ABSOLUTELY no judging of another person’s work. (If I find that people aren’t following this rule, I will remove links left by that person.)
- This is a place for you to explore! It doesn’t matter if you’ve just gotten here in the middle of the year, or if you’ve gotten “behind” and don’t create every day. It doesn’t matter if you don’t create at ALL… (although we’d love it if you do)
- Add your link to what you book or shoot in the comments section of the posts here on the blog, that you create for! Be sure to add a DIRECT LINK. (you can get this most times by clicking on the title of your post, and then copying the URL.) General links to websites will be deleted (because they make it hard for people to follow behind and find the post pertaining to this prompt) ALSO, links leading to posts that do not make it clear how they are related to the prompts will be removed.
- If you would like to “officially” sign up to be listed in our participants list, visit the sign up page, by clicking on GOT BADGE at the top of the page. (this is one area where direct links are not needed!) Ready to join THE FORCE
All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel and Guest Hosts. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!