This project has me really truly, totally excited. It’s such a mash up of who I am… I hope it sounds as interesting to you as it FEELS to me!! (The Sign Up list is at the bottom of this post!)
MY MASH UP:
- It started last year with Monday Mugshots. (you should head over and like the page) Monday Mugshots was a blend of myself as the wife of a police officer, and my love for coffee, and it spread from there.
- Then I got started (and at the date this was written, and am STILL working on) in a group that my mentor, Jane Spakowsky started on facebook. Her project/group, Gritty Jane’s 40 Portraits Challenge got me thinking I might want to continue playing with faces! (it’s a fun group. you should probably join that too)
- Last year’s collaboration with A Year in the Life of an Art Journal and Monday Mugshots left me wanting to keep combining the two in SOME way!
Using prompts for shooting pictures of your mugs (or whatever you happen to be drinking) with a new twist on how those prompts will look.
Turns out, the idea of using the police composite sketch in an artful way isn’t a new one!! An artist named Brian Joseph Davis used police computer composite software to create sketches of famous literary characters using their written descriptions!! You can visit his website HERE. Just for kicks, I found THIS free software! It’s a Police Sketch Kit. Similar to the ones that agencies with no access to a sketch artist use! Might be fun to play around with! Each prompt, we’ll be sketching faces in some way or another. I use the term ‘sketching’ loosely. In reality, we’ll paint, collage, and use all sorts of ways to get portraits into our journals.
I have a fabulous team of guest hosts this year! Some new, and some returning, that are going to help me get your creative juices flowing as we learn some new techniques, try new ideas, and practice our people skills!
YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE GOOD AT THIS!! I mean, look. If THESE pictures can be from an actual police sketch artist, then YOU can do this year’s project. Plus, we’ll be having fun with our mugs and some police-y goodness this year!!
As with every year, posts will be up on the 15th and 30th of each month. (Feb will be posted on the 28th) and you are welcome to join in at ANY time.
- Use all or just part of the prompts.
- MAKE THEM YOURS. These prompts are IDEAS. They are not set in stone. I encourage you to stretch yourself. If you find a prompt doesn’t speak to you, think on it. Find a way to MAKE it speak to you, and go with that.
- SHOOTERS: You do NOT have to be a coffee drinker to play along! Tea, Water, Beer or the Hard Stuff. WE DON’T CARE!! Make the prompts work for you and your mug. (or lack there of)
- There is NO right or wrong.
- Share your feedback on the work of others that share here positively. ABSOLUTELY no judging of another person’s work. (If I find that people aren’t following this rule, I will remove links left by that person.)
- This is a place for you to explore! It doesn’t matter if you’ve just gotten here in the middle of the year, or if you’ve gotten “behind” and don’t create every day. It doesn’t matter if you don’t create at ALL… (although we’d love it if you do)
- Add your link to what you book or shoot in the comments section of the posts here on the blog, that you create for! Be sure to add a DIRECT LINK. (you can get this most times by clicking on the title of your post, and then copying the URL.) General links to websites will be deleted (because they make it hard for people to follow behind and find the post pertaining to this prompt) ALSO, links leading to posts that do not make it clear how they are related to the prompts will be removed.
- If you would like to “officially” sign up to be listed in our participants list, visit the sign up page, by clicking on GOT BADGE at the top of the page. (this is one area where direct links are not needed!)
Ready to join us?
It’s always nice to see who is playing along and visit everyone from one simple place. If you plan to play along with us, or are starting at any point in the year, let us know if you’re planning to participate this year! Add your link to the list below! (this step is NOT required, but we do love to have participant links all in one place!)
If you do not have a blog or website to link to, you’re still welcome to join!
Also, if you’ve signed up for an email subscription, those won’t change.
JOIN THE FORCE!
All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel and Guest Hosts. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!